Sunday, December 03, 2006

only you.... short story 6 part 3

The next three months dhruv and I grew close. We had lunch together and most of the time it was with our other colleagues. He told me about his career and his life in mumbai. I told him about my life in Bangalore. But I invariably spoke to him about my past. About my college life and school life. We discussed literature and music. He could play the piano and had read Dante. He had a quick wit and could make me laugh and feel good about myself. He spoke about punjabi weddings and I spoke bout malayalee weddings. He never made a move on me for the first six months….till we became friendly.
Six months after I met Dhruv Kapoor, he made the first move.
We often stayed back after meetings and just spoke, like I did in college with my friends. Sometimes when we could go home at six, we would stay till eight, just chatting. We invited our colleagues to join us but invariably they could never understand us or what we spoke about.
That night, we were sitting at the office as late as eleven, with two boxes of pizzas and I was asking him for his opinion on how to handle a client. He was an intelligent and experienced man who could speak on anything. I went to throw the pizza boxes and when I returned he was standing at the table with his back towards me. I had dropped my barriers with him, even though I was aware that he had a special look in his eyes whenever I was with him.

“So we are done here, huh? I need to go home and get some sleep and attack the board on the new client. It’ll be a bull fight but I yam equipped”.
He turned around and smiled at my attempt at a spanish accent. I dumped the files into my leather case checking whether they were the right ones. I took the case in my hands and turned around and he was standing in front of me…close to me…closer than I was ever before with him. We looked at each other and I held my breathe because I knew he was going to say something. He touched my shoulder in a very nervous, awkward way. I was so stunned that he had touched me and that too in a way that was tender….that seemed to say that he was in love with me. I couldn’t react. His hand shifted to the back of my neck as he moved close to me…and then he looked down and kissed me. I am five feet and he is almost six feet. I still had my leather bag in my hand and I seemed frozen.A part of my mind wanted this….and then he stopped. I had never lost control this way before. My mind had gone blank. He seemed in control then.
He spoke first. “I’m sorry. Wait I’m not sorry. But I love you.”
“What?”, I said.
“I’m in love with you. I was…ever since I saw you at the cafeteria. Though at that time you didn’t notice that I was looking at you…you were busy chating with the other ladies.”
I sat down on the chair. He came and sat next to me.
“I know you are shocked” he said. I looked up at him.
“I am a married woman”, I said

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just posting this because I know you'll be happy to see a comment, and eagerly open it, just to see this. Knowing that makes this all the worth it, lol.

10:46 PM  
Blogger sush said...

>themasterofbluff
ooooooof!!
hey u hav read this already btw...

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have? I must have fallen asleep before, because I don't remember, :D

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, 2 boxes of pizza? OMG this Dhurav guy eats like a pig, lol.

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home