Sunday, December 03, 2006

Only you....short story 6 part 5

ended the call. I then went to check my closet for the sari I had given for dry cleaning. The next day was our colleague’s daughters second birthday. A few of us from the office had decided on a car-pool route. I met Dhruv at the party. We spoke and we enjoyed the party. On the way back Dhruv replaced a colleague who was goin to her mother’s place instead.
It started raining heavily. According to the carpool plans Dhruv was to get off with me and take an auto back home. His apartment was on the other side of the flyover, while the rest of them had to go under it. When we reached my apartment we waved goodbye to them and waited outside the apartments for the rain reduce to a drizzle.
I finally invited him up. It was 9 in the night. I made a cup of coffee and as usual we spoke about the office. Finally at 9.30,he decided he’d rather try and catch an auto before the rain got worse. I offered to walk him to the entrance of the apartments and searched for the keys. When I finally found it the lights went out. I held my keys in my hands and went in search of a candle. I almost tripped over his legs when he caught me by my hand and took out his lighter.
“Couldn’t you do that earlier and save me the trouble of walking around helplessly?” I asked him in a light tone.
He chuckled.
“And what were you doing here? I thought I last saw you waitin at the door?” I continued
I had taken the lighter and was lighting the candles.
“Well,considering how clumsy you are, I knew you would take a long time, so I decided to make myself comfortable,” he said with a smile.
I picked up the cups and went to the kitchen to put them into the sink. He followed me.
He didn’t say a word. We didn’t need to. He just kissed me.

When I woke up the next morning, he was gone. I had just cheated on my husband. But then why was I happy. Why did I smile in the shower and think of Dhruv so often? Why did I feel complete….and more of a woman?
I was attracted to him and in love with him. I could tell him anything, I could be my worst. And nothing that I said surprised him. We were, rebels, not used to the beaten path that you were used to…and that’s why you love me…because I’m different,I dare to be different. He had helped me around the office and I had been through some tough times in the office, situations he understood and helped me through. He even stood up for me when our boss blamed me for something that wasn’t my fault…when everybody blamed me, he stood by me. Everybody thought he was being a good friend. He was being a good friend..a good friend in love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home