Sunday, December 03, 2006

only you.... short story 6 part 4

I was shaking.
“I know”, he said. “But…but do u know how many times I tried to not think of you. I went for my cousins marriage in Mumbai last month hoping that I would find someone…someone to replace you…in my mind. I can’t. I love you too much. Your laughter, the way you tease me, the way you understand me…”
“Wait”,I said. “This is too fast. I need to think. I will not cheat on my husband. I cannot. Im not that kind of a woman. Besides I was just being friendly with you.”
“Do you love him?”he asked.
“Yes”
“Are you sure?”
“Do not question my relationship with my husband!” I said getting angry. I stood up.
“I’m sorry this will not work out. I am a married woman”
“Why do you keep repeating that? Is that the only thing that stands between us?”
I turned around and walked away.

The next day I dragged myself to work. I had decided I would not run away, but I would slay the dragon if I had to. He had left to Mumbai to discuss with the Head office about the upward movement of the Bangalore branch.He returned a week later…we spoke as though everything was normal…but did not stay back anymore by mutual consent.
Three months later things got back to almost normal. I was still wary of him.
Around this time you were assigned a project in San Francisco for a month. You couldn’t get permission to take me. So I went to my mother’s place travelling between the office and my mother’s house. A week before you were to return, I returned home to clean the place. The day I got back home Dhruv called me.
“How did you know I was home?” I asked.
“ I didn’t. Just thought I’d call you and ask how you were doing…so what are you doing?”
“Cleaning” I said, as I went through the bills.
“Can I come over. Or is it still awkward ? I thought we had gotten over it.”
My heart skipped a beat.
“Well…I haven’t forgotten it.”
“Then it’s alright. I don’t want you feeling uncomfortable.”
“Listen. I will be a little uncomfortable till I can forget it ever happened. It’ll take time.”
“Sure. I’ll wait.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home